What does a day at Shalom house look like?
- New residents are required to be out of the house job-hunting from 9 to 5 daily until they find work. Generally they work first-shift, minimum-wage jobs and use public transportation.
- Residents are also required to attend two AA or NA meetings and one Sunday Christian church service each week.
- They complete assigned household chores three times per week, cook their own meals, and do their own laundry.
- We have a mandatory house meeting every Tuesday evening.
- The unmarried ladies are required to postpone romantic relationships and all residents must be home by a curfew time each evening unless they are working.
- All medication, whether prescribed or over-the-counter, is kept in a locked cabinet. Alcohol consumption and certain medications which have a high potential for abuse are prohibited for residents of Shalom House.
Shalom House is located in the city limits within walking distance of downtown. There are two floors at the halfway house. Each floor has a bathroom, kitchen, living room and semi-private bedrooms. Rent is paid weekly. The average length of stay is approximately six months, but a year or more of residence is common.